According to the American Therapeutic Recreation Association, recreational therapy or Therapeutic Recreation (TR) is a treatment service designed to restore, remediate and rehabilitate a person’s level of functioning and independence in life activities, to promote health and wellness as well as reduce or eliminate the activity limitations and restrictions to participation in life situations caused by an illness or disabling condition.
Recreational therapists work with clients to restore motor, social and cognitive functioning, build confidence, develop coping skills, and integrate skills learned in treatment settings into community settings. Intervention areas vary widely and are based upon client interests. Examples of intervention modalities include creative arts (e.g., crafts, music, dance, drama, among others), sports, adventure programming, dance/movement, and leisure education.
How Can RAW Therapy help you?
- Do you have a new injury? After an injury, a RAW Therapy can help a person get back to doing the things they like to do before they were injured.
- Do you have a disability? If you have acquired a disability, RAW Therapy may help you adjust to your new life.
- Do you need to find more fun in your life? Sometimes life throws you curveballs and you need hand at making your life more fulfilling. RAW Therapy can help you find the resources and peer support connection you need to get enjoy a more fun life.
- Do you just need a hand? Caregiver burnout is an all too common problem. RAW Therapy can provide respite services providing a therapeutic activity or taking your loved one out in the community for an adventure.
- Need better programming for your facility? RAW Therapy can develop a therapeutic program addressing the domains for quality of life: physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritutal. Programming can be designed to meet JCAHO and CARF standards. RAW Therapy can also train your staff to execute the program.
- Chronic pain
- Adults with developmental disabilities
- Adults with sensory issues
Recommended Home and Community Programs in the Detroit Area:
Survivors of an auto accident or for an accident on the job-please visit to Home and Community Recreation Therapy at: http://www.hcrt.net
Children with Special Needs-Please visit Therapeutic Concepts LLC http://therapeuticconceptsllc.com/
Athletes with disabilities-Please visit Michigan Victory Games http://www.michiganvictorygames.org/
Non-profit Recreation Therapy services-Please contact Strive Recreation Therapy at https://www.striverectherapy.com/whoweare/non-profit/